Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GunnerBill
    replied
    added a few pics...more coming when time permits...

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    replied
    The construction of Big "D" is continuing well. I've had a busy summer between caring for Mother, work and family life. A few notables are: basic construction is finished, several coats of varnish have been applied to her decks, the anchor pulpit, cross tree, deck hardware, splash well and seats have been added. The most exciting part is the motor bracket and supporting knees have been engineered and are currently being built. You could say we are in the home stretch now.
    Once again, Old Man Winter is quickly approaching and I will have to yeild to uncomfortable Ontario weather. I may, however, consider the beginning stages of wiring her. When I can, I will add some photos in my album...stay tuned...

GunnerBill

Leave a comment:

• Jetlag
    replied
    Looking good GunnerBill

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    replied
    I had some time off and got busy with the build. With all that's been going on, I'm surprised to get this far. Now, however, Big "D" is starting to take shape.

Please view my album for the added photos. If you have questions, I will do my best to answer. Also, please feel free to offer suggestions - I have no idea about what I'm donig...lol

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    replied
    It has been some time since the last photos of Big 'D'. Work requirements, a new kitchen renovation (couldn't very well say no to that) as well as caring for my mother have combined to keep me away from the build. Bear with me...more photos coming soon...

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    replied
    Originally posted by Jetlag View Post
    Did you get all your neighbors over to turn the hull. whats the next plan for your boat.
    lol, lol...yea...all the neighbors that want to go for a boat ride! I think they can't believe someone is crazy enough to build one at home. Did you notice there aren't any older folks there? They wouldn't come over...do they know something I don't? Maybe they feel sympathy for my wife...I know I do...lol, lol

Next plan....hmmm...finish the boat, sell it, save marriage...
    Actually, sand and finish interior and apply resin before it gets too cold. Over the winter, refine cabin plan and look for sawmills that handle teak. Come spring, apply mahogany top-sides (deck, gunnels, cabin, etc.)

Question: What is better for cabin and cockpit sole: mahogany, or teak? Why?
    Last edited by GunnerBill; 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM. Reason: sp

Leave a comment:

• Jetlag
    replied
    Originally posted by GunnerBill View Post
    Finally turned the hull!! Look at the album for more pics...Woo Hoo!!!!
    Did you get all your neighbors over to turn the hull. whats the next plan for your boat.

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    replied
    Finally turned the hull!! Look at the album for more pics...Woo Hoo!!!!

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    replied
    Thank you for your kind words COCO. The photos turned out alright, especially when the sawdust cleared...lol, lol. As far as building the Big D, I had to go "back to school" sort of. When I recieved the rough frame, there were no plans and I had to create a "table of offsets" then create the luff lines and half-breadths from that. Now with a working plan, the rest was...well...um...we'll see when I float her.
    Last edited by GunnerBill; 05-18-2008, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coco
    replied
    nice pictures gunnerbill and i think you did a great job at boat building

Has boat building finally become a lost art?
    I dont think its a lost art... yet. Time is money and it seems people dont have the time anymore for boat building.

Leave a comment:

• GunnerBill
    started a topic Building your own

Building your own

Having bought and sold a few boats, I thought it would be fun to try my hand at building one. Whoops...was I wrong! Please have a look in my personal album and have a few laughs. Has boat building finally become a lost art?

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X