Working on an old FG boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on an old FG boat

I've just bought an older fibreglass boat. The former owner had started patching the rather rough fibreglass but had not sanded it down. Just wondering what type of sander I should use and, also, as there is a bit of fibreglass work still to be done on the boat (and I have ZERO experience in the matter), are there some books you could recommend on doing fibreglass boat repairs.

Thanks.

Marc P.

Lots of books out there Add some before and after pictures of your work

Fiberglass Repair Books

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to Chapter's to see what they have on hand.

Marc P.

Comment

Nothing at Chapter's or any book stores in town! I'll see what I can get online.

In the meantime, what kind of sander works best?
        Vibrating, circular, belt, other??

Thanks.

BTW, here are the "before" pictures:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/73977012@N00/

Marc P.

Comment

Originally posted by tipit008 View Post
          In the meantime, what kind of sander works best?
          Vibrating, circular, belt, other??

BTW, here are the "before" pictures:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/73977012@N00/
          For larger jobs i use a grinder/sanding disc with a vac system. For smaller jobs i use a orbit sander and a vac system

Post some pictures of your work in your Album (link up top)

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably go with an orbital sander. It's a fairly big job (as you can see with the pictures), but I have a small budget!

Also, any easy way to tell if the transom needs solidifying? It seems a bit weak to me but the guy who sold me the boat... said there was NO PROBLEM!!

Marc P.

Comment

Did you find any good books online

Comment

Hi,

There are tons of good books online but none at the local book stores. I do not have a credit card (by choice), so ordering online is kind of difficult.

Most of the fiberglass repair has already been done with very little left to do. Mostly sanding and painting left, so I might just do it without referring to a book.

I took it out for a spin yesterday, and the transom looks very solid so I'm not too worried. Boat is also extremely stable and engine runs like a charm.

Biggest challenge now, is how to do the underside of the boat with absolutely no hardware to lift the boat. It's too heavy to lift by hand.

Anyone have any suggestions on this one??

Marc P.

Comment

Originally posted by tipit008 View Post
                  Biggest challenge now, is how to do the underside of the boat with absolutely no hardware to lift the boat. It's too heavy to lift by hand.
                  Use a jack and support the bottom with some wood blocks or lumber. If you can, rent some boat stands.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on using some wood supports.

By the way, I was also thinking of putting the boat on it's side, probably at a 60 angle. It may stay that way for a day or a few days. Is this in any way bad for the hull or the motor??

Marc P.

Comment

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X