stress cracks on fiberglass boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stress cracks on fiberglass boats

i am looking to buy a 87 glastron conroy my main concern is that there are stress cracks at the back of the bot near the bottom, was told it was no big deal....is this true...can they be fixed?... and how much are we talking. Also, there is discoloration where the stress marks are..what would cause this? please help!
    Last edited by boat rookie; 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM. Reason: add picture

depending how big they are ..small ones can be repaired by dishing out all the crack lines and filling with a Gel-Coat repair kit, big ones may have to ground out right to the fibreglass and filled in. but left alone they will get worse and worse and cost more and more. fix them now before it is to late

Comment

Ultimately alexlee is right. However, when you grind out the cracks you will see if they go into the glass. Discoloration could be from water penetration. You are best to deal with it before more damage occurs. Also in an 87' the chance of there being rot somewhere in the boat are high. Manufacturers did not assemble boats as well back then. They had a nasty habit of bridging gaps with the fiberglass and leaving lots of air voids.

Comment

What's the material? If it's fiberglass, look for another boat unless he'll pay you to take it from him. You should post a picture of the area of concern. It would make it easier for the people that have seen similar to give you advice.

Comment

There may be lots of problems due to sun-effect or coldnes. If you want to protect it in future, if possible then you can put a quality Marquee to avoid hardness of weather. I'm saying this because I've done it successfully.
          Last edited by Finally; 11-22-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Comment

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X