Starting engine in a drum of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting engine in a drum of water

Hi, I am a first time boat owner, also new to the board. I started my engine in a drum of water, the water only spuddered out of the tell tale hole. However, I have not received the prop for the engine yet, therefore it was not on the engine when I started it. Could this be the reason for the spuddering and not a defective impeller ? I am aware that running the engine without water streaming out the TTH could damage the engine so I turned it off pretty quick. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

i dont think it is a good idea to start the motor with no prop, i think i heard it can damage the bearings and seals in the lower end..as for the water, make sure you have enough water in the drum, if in doubt change the water impeller (better safe than sorry) some times the tell tale hole will clog up, or your thermostat was not open all the way.

Comment

I agree with Alexlee. Starting your motor with no prop can hurt your motor. If you put in gear and rev it up, it is very easy to overspeed your engine. Most motors are designed to run a specific top speed under load. Without the load of the prop in the water there is no resistance for the motor to overcome.

Comment

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X