Bottom Paint or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom Paint or Not?

I have read with interest various articles, websites and threads here regarding paints and finishes to wood and fiberglass hulls. However, there is precious little information on bottom paint and the reasons why it should be used. As I continue the work on Big 'D' though, I am starting to second guess my decision not to use bottom paint on her hull. As most of you know, she is wood constructed with marine ply (meranti), fiberglassed and resined with MASS epoxy. I chose a 2 stage marine paint to finish. She is to be used in freshwater boating (Great Lakes) and will be trailered. Your input on this issue will be gratefully recieved....

Painting the bottom of the both has a benefit.
    I recommend to paint the bottom of the boat it help the boat more strong and will make it life more longer.
    Last edited by jones14richard; 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Bottom paint is NOT tough. It is ablative- meaning that it is designed to constantly wear away...
      ===========
      non voice projects

Comment

I didn't think it would protect the hull. Is the bottom paint specifically designed to repel waterborne critters? Is there a benefit for a trailerable boat with a wooden hull that will see duty in fresh water?

Comment

ablative paint is good , there will still be staining but it will prevent barnicles & algae from growing.Also it helps prevent blisters. It works by a "sloughing action" As the boat moves through the water anything attached such as barnicles will wash away. The staining will always be there. Many boat owners make the mistake of scrubbing the bottom during the season.It may look good for a week but the paint will loose it's effectivness and thin out.
          Last edited by Aceline; 05-24-2012, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Bottom Paint

Originally posted by GunnerBill View Post
            I have read with interest various articles, websites and threads here regarding paints and finishes to wood and fiberglass hulls. However, there is precious little information on bottom paint and the reasons why it should be used. As I continue the work on Big 'D' though, I am starting to second guess my decision not to use bottom paint on her hull. As most of you know, she is wood constructed with marine ply (meranti), fiberglassed and resined with MASS epoxy. I chose a 2 stage marine paint to finish. She is to be used in freshwater boating (Great Lakes) and will be trailered. Your input on this issue will be gratefully recieved....

If she's left in the fresh water for 3-4 days straight days tied to a dock or bouy, I'd use the Interlux bottom paint process. Not for antifouling purposes, but for below waterline blistering. Thats the reccomended time limit, myself though I'd have no worries pushing it to a week.

Comment

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X