Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringers and boat foam

i have a 84-85 panther that is in ok shape other then the rotted stuff lol

is it nessisary to use marine plywood for my stringers and any other wood in boat (floor)
    shoud the dash im replecing be marine ply too?

also. all the foam i ripped out only helps the boat float when capsized right?

i dont believe it makes or help boat float under normal operation?
    i can see it adding to small amounts of stuctural support ? but thats all

any ideas if i want to put foam in again, will that expanding contruction work work???

Some people use other plywood and epoxy it after fitting to size. I like Marine Plywood because made with waterproof adhesive and shouldn't have any voids or knots.

I would replace the foam if you remove it but thats just me. I know people that just drilled drains in stringers to an open bilge after removing foam.

Comment

Originally posted by JWtaylor View Post
      i dont believe it makes or help boat float under normal operation?
      i can see it adding to small amounts of stuctural support ? but thats all

any ideas if i want to put foam in again, will that expanding contruction work work???

Hi JWtaylor, in addition to providing floatation, the foam provides rigidity to the form. If the area is under load from above or below, you might consider replacing it. Don't use construction foam, though. After time, low expansion construction foam will absorb water. You need to use a closed cell foam that repels water. Use a foam like "Handi-Foam" rated for marine use.

Comment

it is really very nice and informative forum ,thanks for sharing .i really appreciate this ....

gmat prep course gmat prep course
        Last edited by nehaali; 11-17-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X