Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Time Boat Owner looking for advice

Hi..

We own a cottage on Lake Erie - I would like to get a power boat but do not have a clue which model to get.. I plan on getting a boat launcher like these:

http://www.thebeachlauncher.com/

The water is quite shallow which leans me to wanting an inboard..

My main use would be for fishing - the kids though want speed to do wake boarding or tubing. - I have never owned a boat before..

which is the ideal boat for me?

Thanks

Where on Erie are you? (I was in Port Dover yesterday...)

If the water is shallow, you do NOT want an inboard shafted boat.
    The BeachLauncher will handle inboard / outboard or IO propelled vessels, which is fine because you can raise the drive's lower unit when transiting your shallow water spots.
    You may even consider outboard motor propulsion; same goes for being able to raise the lower unit.

IO or ourboard, you can have enough power / speed to play on the water with toys for the kids.

If you need more, send me a PM or contact me at: www.bertamarineconsultants.com

Comment

You may want to go with a mid-powered Outboard as a first boat engine type. Repairs, replacement and maintenance is much simpler and less expensive in terms of labor costs. Lake Erie can be wonderful one hour and high chop the next and depth ranges to about fifty feet so a shallow deep V 16-20 foot boat should be more than adequate for most boating weather conditions for a family of say four people and with the correct power pushing it, it will be more than enough for family tubing, water skiing etc..

I'd be sure to study and pass the Transport Canada requirement for an Leisure Passenger Operators license, it's mandatory. This will include the need to purchase Lake Erie Hydro-graphic Charts. I took the course through Boat Smart (Canadian Tire) and passed the Transport Canada test the first time after doing about 30 hours of study. Even those who do not possess the Operator License that have being boating for many years, such as myself, will learn many important rules and laws which I had no idea before the test, existed. Good Luck.

Comment

Hi Joe - we are near Crystal Beach - I sent you a PM

Originally posted by Capt. Joe View Post
        Where on Erie are you? (I was in Port Dover yesterday...)

If the water is shallow, you do NOT want an inboard shafted boat.
        The BeachLauncher will handle inboard / outboard or IO propelled vessels, which is fine because you can raise the drive's lower unit when transiting your shallow water spots.
        You may even consider outboard motor propulsion; same goes for being able to raise the lower unit.

IO or ourboard, you can have enough power / speed to play on the water with toys for the kids.

If you need more, send me a PM or contact me at: www.bertamarineconsultants.com

Comment

Thanks - Yes I will definately take that boating course as I truly am a boat newbie..

would you care to suggest a couple of actual current boat models and how big of an outboard to get - I want something that is easy to start and gets me back to shore pretty quickly should a storm come up..

Originally posted by RSF View Post
          You may want to go with a mid-powered Outboard as a first boat engine type. Repairs, replacement and maintenance is much simpler and less expensive in terms of labor costs. Lake Erie can be wonderful one hour and high chop the next and depth ranges to about fifty feet so a shallow deep V 16-20 foot boat should be more than adequate for most boating weather conditions for a family of say four people and with the correct power pushing it, it will be more than enough for family tubing, water skiing etc..

I'd be sure to study and pass the Transport Canada requirement for an Leisure Passenger Operators license, it's mandatory. This will include the need to purchase Lake Erie Hydro-graphic Charts. I took the course through Boat Smart (Canadian Tire) and passed the Transport Canada test the first time after doing about 30 hours of study. Even those who do not possess the Operator License that have being boating for many years, such as myself, will learn many important rules and laws which I had no idea before the test, existed. Good Luck.

Comment

Lake Erie,
            There are many types of boats out there that will handle Lake Erie. For family, I'd suggest a bowrider. One of the benefits of the bowrider, is your children can be seated in front of you rather than beside or behind; bowriders are vary-stable.
            see: http://www.discoverboating.com/buying/boattypes.aspx

As for Outboard engines, the best are probably 4 stroke: Mercury, Honda and Yamaha, but they are expensive too. Personally, I would buy a used boat but would never buy a used engine. A 'kicker' motor is an option you may wish to consider, for trolling or emergency where your outboard has failed, and they do fail as with all engines, inboard, inboard/outboard and Outboard.
            The horse power of engine depends on what capacity your boat can handle and how much power you want. For a 16-20 ft bowrider for the purposes you describe, I would consider between 100-150 HP. It keeps the cost down but has all the power needed for family outings, including skiing and will consume less fuel that 200+ HP outboards out there.

Comment

sounds like good advice and a good starting point - was planning on buying new - buy the right boat - and have it for many years that my kids can use for a long time - used boat with new motor is a great compromise..

kick motor is a must for me - for motor I want the best if it means I dont have to worry about being stranded out in the middle of the lake..and it always starts easily

BTW - your link is not available - I'll retry later - Thanks

Originally posted by RSF View Post
              Lake Erie,
              There are many types of boats out there that will handle Lake Erie. For family, I'd suggest a bowrider. One of the benefits of the bowrider, is your children can be seated in front of you rather than beside or behind; bowriders are vary-stable.
              see: http://www.discoverboating.com/buying/boattypes.aspx

As for Outboard engines, the best are probably 4 stroke: Mercury, Honda and Yamaha, but they are expensive too. Personally, I would buy a used boat but would never buy a used engine. A 'kicker' motor is an option you may wish to consider, for trolling or emergency where your outboard has failed, and they do fail as with all engines, inboard, inboard/outboard and Outboard.
              The horse power of engine depends on what capacity your boat can handle and how much power you want. For a 16-20 ft bowrider for the purposes you describe, I would consider between 100-150 HP. It keeps the cost down but has all the power needed for family outings, including skiing and will consume less fuel that 200+ HP outboards out there.

Comment

You might want to look at the Legend Boats website they are from Ontario and have boats that quickly convert from fishing to family fun or ski boats. We just bought one and are very happy so far!

http://legendboats.com/en/boats/xcalibur/16_xcalibur

Comment

Originally posted by GT_UKie View Post
                  You might want to look at the Legend Boats website they are from Ontario and have boats that quickly convert from fishing to family fun or ski boats. We just bought one and are very happy so far!

http://legendboats.com/en/boats/xcalibur/16_xcalibur
                  Cool - and they have a dealer very close too..

I will check this out

Is a 90HP motor strong enough to tow an adult?

Thanks

Comment

I'm no expert but yes the HP is enough to tow an adult. Then again I suppose it depends on lots of factors like how big and heavy is boat? How many people and contents are in boat?

Some people get carried away and say you need huge engines but it really doesn't need a very big engine to tow an adult.

Comment

first boat

Rent one first make sure your family likes it , then understand that buying a boat is easy keeping it running all season is $$$$$ when they break down you have to be ready with $$$ to get them fixed fast , boat season is short and you don't have weeks to wait to fix them , and if you can do the work great but if not get someone who does , if you don't winterized it rite it's not a boat it's yard art !!!!

Comment

Thanks

Turns out I never did buy one - I have no desire to simply cruise around the lake - havent had any strong desire to go fishing either

I will wait until the kids decide they really want one

we did get a catamaran and I enjoy sailing on it

Originally posted by gmorgan View Post
                        Rent one first make sure your family likes it , then understand that buying a boat is easy keeping it running all season is $$$$$ when they break down you have to be ready with $$$ to get them fixed fast , boat season is short and you don't have weeks to wait to fix them , and if you can do the work great but if not get someone who does , if you don't winterized it rite it's not a boat it's yard art !!!!

Comment

i also buy a boat from www.captainbay.com
                          i also i just connect with various forum to know more about this cool product.
                          and how can i take care of my boat, my boats is smaller one.

Comment

Mobile Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X